Want hands-on experience with Riparian Restoration?
The Whitman Conservation District offers volunteer and internship programs that focus directly on riparian restoration throughout the Palouse region; however, the internship is based out of Colfax, WA. Time commitment depends on student’s desire for college credits. Employment can be part time or full time, depending on time of year. Preference may be given to students who can commit for longer than a 3-month time frame.
Why work for the Whitman Conservation District?
- Work with a team of natural resource professionals focused on local grassroots conservation efforts
- Non-regulatory boots on the ground work
- Work on a variety of conservation projects on private land
- Opportunities for professional development
- Gain valuable qualifications and job skills (e.g. proper use of tools, streambank bioengineering, native and invasive plant ID)
Those who are interested in applying for an internship must meet the following Qualifications:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to [pass a background check
- Physically capable to work on steep slopes and rough terrain
- Physically able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Physically able to plant for extended periods
- Upon hire, Interns must supply their own work boots and come dressed for the job
- Work on all aspects of riparian restoration including but not limited to preparing, implementing, planting, monitoring, and maintaining project sites; operating and maintaining hand tools and small engine machinery; harvesting plant materials and installing woody structures in streams
- Must possess a positive work ethic
- Work in all seasons, despite weather conditions
- Willingness to participate as part of team
- Ability to adapt and think independently in changing conditions
- Other duties as assigned
If interested, please view our Riparian Restoration Internship application on Handshake and apply through there.
Riparian Rstoration Internship Application
For inquiries about volunteer opportunities, contact Josh Larsen: