Whitman Conservation District

Agricultural Burn Permits

We Can Assist You With Your Application

As a Permitting Authority, our service includes assisting applicants with the Department of Ecology’s Agricultural Burn Permitting Program Application and issuing permits locally.

How to Apply for a Burn Permit:


Print out, complete, and sign your application (see links below for what you need). We cannot process a burn permit without this application first.


Create a map of where the burn will be. It is easy to print off the area on Google Maps and circle the burn zone with a pen or highlighter. 


Contact Whitman CD either via email or phone. You have the option to email your completed application or drop it off at our office at an agreed upon time.


Pay for your permit either by check (when you drop off the application) or over the phone. We cannot approve your permit until we receive payment. If you mail the check, please expect a delay for permitting approval.


Whitman CD will process your permit online and email or mail your completed permit. Once you have received this you are ready to burn.

Application Forms

Burn Permit and Spot Burn Permit forms are also available at the Whitman Conservation District Office or on the Department of Ecology Home website. You may upload/submit your application using the form below or return or bring applications to Whitman Conservation District office: 601 N. Main, Suite A, Colfax, WA 99111


  • Field burning: $37.50 first 10 acres; $3.75 for each additional acre
  • Spot burning: $37.50 for 10 acres or less
  • Pile burning: $80 for first 80 tons; $1.00 for each additional ton

Contact & More Information

For more information or questions contact Glenn Mitchell (509-610-2100).

Visit the Department of Ecology Burn Permit page for more information.

Remember to Complete Your Post-Burn Reporting

Requests for burn refunds must be received on or before the last day of the burn season (June 30 or December 31)

Click here to complete you report

Submit Your Application Online

Agricultural Burn Permits